Job Opening/Sports Copy Production Editor
The Record (Bergen County, NJ) has an opening for a full-time copy
production editor in Sports. Duties include:
* Editing staff and wire copy for style, clarity, accuracy, fairness,
objectivity, completeness, organization, consistency, freshness,
smoothness and libel.
* Writing engaging headlines for stories, pictures, illustrations and
* Checking that facts are correctly attributed to sources.
* Writing accurate, complete and creative captions for photographs,
illustrations and graphics.
* Laying out pages in conformity with our design stylebook and the
newspaper’s production schedules.
* Displaying sound news judgment in selecting and placing stories,
photos, illustrations and graphics and making the appropriate headline
* Designing pages that package related stories and make full use of
available graphics and typographical devices to make pages attractive,
imaginative and inviting to readers.
* Slotting staff and wire copy as instructed by his or her supervisor or
This position requires a minimum of five years of daily newspaper
experience. Hours and days will vary but generally this job will work
late afternoons and nights. If interested, send a resume, a cover
letter and your five best clips to John Balkun, Sports Editor, The
Record, 100 Commons Way, Rockaway, NJ, 07866-1116.
Some background about our newspaper:
The Record, with a circulation of about 150,000 daily and 180,000
Sunday, is family-owned and located in North Jersey. It has won the
“General Excellence Award” as New Jersey’s best large daily newspaper
(for circulation more than 60,000) in eight of the past 10 years,
including the past three years. The newspaper is located within 30
minutes of Times Square in Manhattan and is a short drive from the Shore
and the mountains. Our company also owns the Herald News, a small daily,
and about 60 weekly newspapers and magazines.